Thursday, December 10, 2009

Deeper Still - Part 1

I am sitting in my church’s foyer as the Christmas choir prepares to practice upstairs. It is, hands down, one of my all-time favorite sounds (that, and galloping horse hooves. Go figure…) I LOVE this season. I love everything about it, but mostly I love the music and the meaning and emotion behind it. Maybe that’s why last weekend was so incredible. If you’ve never had the opportunity to hear a 9,000 voice, all-female choir, you’re missing an amazing experience.




Last weekend I met my friend Connie in Oklahoma City for Deeper Still. I’ve been to women’s conferences before so I knew I was in for something special. It was made even better because Connie had never been to anything like this and I got to see much of it through her eyes. The weekend did not disappoint…for either of us.

It all started Friday night which brought a bonus beyond great music, a lot of laughs and deep truths. As I mentioned in my last post, The Pioneer Woman had these great t-shirts. Because my shirt was new and therefore still clean, I wore it on Friday night. Now, at this point, it is important to remind you that I was one itty bitty individual in a sea of 9,000 individuals. It’s important because of what happened while standing in line at the concession stand.

I was talking to Connie when I heard from behind me, “THERE IT IS!!!” I turned around to see a group of young women staring at…me. The only reason this didn’t completely weird me out (to borrow a phrase from my kids) was because they were also wearing Wild Olive t-shirts. They have a very distinct and beautiful style to them. After a very brief conversation, I discovered that one of the young women WAS Wild Olive and had designed the t-shirt for PW. It was the first time she had seen it on someone out in public. Having remembered my camera this time and being the true dork that I am, I asked for a picture.


As I was walking away, I heard one of her friends exclaim, “you’re famous!” And honestly, that made the whole dork thing totally worth it because, aside from being incredibly talented, Colleen was a very sweet young lady and, quite frankly, she deserves to feel a little famous. I’m glad I could help. (FYI: great gift idea)

That was at the beginning of the night. The remainder was just as much fun. The weekend consisted of three speakers: Kay Arthur, Beth Moore and Priscilla Shirer. Two of whom I was already very familiar with. Kay Arthur and Beth Moore are two of my favorite teachers. They are lively, funny and engaging. The third was Priscilla. I hadn’t seen her before and hadn’t read any of her books. That won’t last long. I’ve already got a list.

I’ll go into more detail tomorrow but for now, just know that three great ladies equaled one incredible weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment